Code of Ethics
Code of Ethics
(In addition to that of the IKC)
* Members shall ensure that all breeding dogs & bitches in their ownership have current clear eye certificates & hips x-rayed & scored at the time of mating and shall only be mated to or by a dog with a current clear eye certificate and hips x-rayed & scored at time of mating under BVA and/or committee approved scheme. Dogs and Bitches born on or after the 13th October 2019 must have their Elbows X-Rayed and scored prior to mating.
* Bitches to be a minimum of 18 months at the time of mating.
* Bitches to be a maximum of eight years when having her last litter.
* Maximum number of litters per bitch to be 4.
* Members should comply with the Irish Animal Welfare Act.
MEMBERS FAILING TO COMPLY WITH THE ABOVE CODE OF ETHICS MAY BE SUSPENDED OR EXPELLED AND/OR HAVE THEIR RENEWAL OF MEMBERSHIP REFUSED.
Information on Eye Testing & Hip X-Raying may be obtained from the Hon. Secretary.
We have a beautiful breed that unfortunately, like many other breeds has hereditary problems but by adhering to the Club’s code of ethics the risk of hereditary problems being passed on to offspring will be greatly reduced.
In ADDITION : The IKC have added an amendment to their Code Of Ethics for which ALL members must Comply….
Please note changes to the Irish Kennel Club Rules and Code of Ethics implemented from 1st January 2018.
Rule 233 of the Irish Kennel Club Rules & Regulations will now read:-
- Progeny from a Bitch under 1 year (12 months) or over 8 years of age at the time of mating, or, by a sire under 7 months or over 12 years of age at the time of mating, will not be accepted for registration unless the application is supported by satisfactory veterinary evidence.
- During any period of 3 years, not more than 3 litters of pups is born to a bitch.
- No more than four litters born in the life time of any bitch.
- No more than two litters born to a bitch by caesarean section.